Did you know March is both International Women’s Month and National Nutrition Month? Double the reason to celebrate and shine a light on the nutritional needs of women in all phases of life. When talking about women’s health, it’s imperative that we understand the role hormones play because, in many scientific studies, they are ignored (or we are considered “little men” and that is just downright wrong!). Hormones are chemical messengers that regulate physical and mental health and they’re always changing in response to age, stress, sleep, illness, food, gender, you name it! They are busy little suckers that cannot and will not be ignored. At Real Nutrition we work with women of all ages, always taking hormones into account when creating nutrition plans no matter their wellness goals. In fact, there are a few nutrition tips that apply to overall hormonal health no matter your stage of life so we thought this month was the perfect time to share these effective, healthy hormone-balancing tips with you. Looking to feel balanced and even? Keep reading for some of our favorite nutrients and ingredients that are easy to incorporate and that work!
- Healthy fats: They not only help to build our hormones but they reduce inflammation and support the absorption of vitamins and minerals from our foods.
- Fav sources: Omega 3s from seafood, walnuts, chia, flax, hemp seeds, olive oil, avocado, nuts, and seeds.
- Antioxidant-Rich Foods: Hello plants!!! These antioxidant powerhouses reduce the risk of chronic disease, and certain cancers, and allow for maximum vitamin and mineral variety.
- Fav sources: Fruits, veggies (including cruciferous veggies), dark chocolate, coffee, green tea & matcha too!
- Quality protein at every meal and snack: This helps to balance blood sugar levels and manage mood, anxiety, and hunger. It also maintains and builds muscle mass for metabolism and promotes optimal bone health.
- Fav sources: Wild seafood, pasture-raised chickens and eggs, grass-fed beef, organic tofu/tempeh, nuts, seeds, and Greek yogurt.
- Fiber: We recommend aiming for 28-35g/day since fiber promotes satiety, balances blood sugar, provides B vitamins that support hormone health, increases energy, manages weight, and removes excess cholesterol and spent hormones from the body.
- Fav sources: Grains, beans, legumes, veggies, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruits, nuts, and seeds!
- Good bacteria: A healthy gut promotes hormone production, balance, and regular elimination to remove excess hormones from the body. We encourage consuming fermented foods, probiotic supplements, and fiber to help your gut microbiome flourish.
- Fav sources: Kimchi, Greek yogurt, tempeh, kefir, and good supplements.
Beyond nutrition, we also strongly encourage regular exercise, quality sleep, and stress management to regulate hormone receptors and enhance hormonal signals. These behaviors boost mood, energy, and overall wellness.
Don’t forget to celebrate the wonderful women in your life this month by sharing this newsletter with them! Sharing is caring and caring is healthy 🙂