Hate to be a Debbie Downer but the end of summer means back to work and/or school. I look at this as the perfect time to tighten up your routines, healthy habits, and nutrition! Like a “Pre-New Year” resolution. So let’s talk about healthy snacking! Packing the right snacks can truly level up your health, energy, and focus!
When I recommend well-balanced snacks I generally go with items that are:
- Calories: < 200
- Protein: ~5-15g
- Fiber > 3 grams
- Sugar < 15 g (ideally < 5 g added sugar)
A snack high in protein and fiber will maintain your blood sugar, prevent extreme hunger, and decrease cravings. So…don’t be afraid to snack, enjoy it!
- Protein bars made with clean ingredients – BTR Nation is our fav!
- Dried edamame – The Only Bean
- Seeded crackers – We “heart” Mary’s Gone Crackers
- Tinned Fish: Tuna, Salmon, Sardines!
- Beef jerky
- Nuts, seeds, nut/seed butter
- Dark chocolate – >70% cacao
Fridge Snacks— Bring on the “whole food” vibes!
- Greek yogurt
- Chia pudding
- Cottage cheese
- Portioned cheeses
- Fresh fruit
- Veggie sticks
- HB Eggs
Freezer Snacks—there when you need them!
- Frozen edamame
- Frozen fruits
- Frozen veggies
- Fruit pops/frozen yogurt pops
Elevated or Grown-up Snack combos:
- 1 oz Cheese and 1 Small Nectarine
- 1 Egg with 1/2 cup Cottage cheese and Microgreens
- 3 oz Smoked salmon with Cucumber slice bites
- Sliced turkey wrapped over carrot and celery sticks
For the little ones (kid friendly; adult approved):
- “Ants on a log” – Celery sticks with 1-2 tbsp nut/seed butter + blueberries dotted along the top
- Apple slices + ½ cup full-fat Greek yogurt w/ cinnamon
- Homemade gluten-free/grain-free muffins (with chocolate chips of course!)
- Rice cakes with Cottage cheese and Berries
- Hummus (1/4 cup per person) and Sliced veggies
- Guacamole (1/4 cup per person) and Seeded crackers or tortilla chips
- Fruit and cheese and/or nuts
- Elevated cheese board!
We’ve got tons more snacks in our tool kit. Need more ideas or a strategy, Fall is the best time to focus on nutrition! Sign up for a session or two! Stock up your pantry, fridge, and freezer with healthy options so you’re always ready to go!