Summer is in full swing and we’ve been enjoying warm nights, fresh fruit snacks, time outside, and BBQs! About that last one…think that BBQ foods can’t fit into a healthful lifestyle? Think again! BBQs can be wildly healthy and can fit into anyone’s meal plan, no matter what plan you follow. Click below to see some ways we love to BBQ it up all summer while staying on track:
- Firing up the grill? Throw on some seasonal veggies, cook until lightly charred, and load up your plate! Some of our favs include zucchini, peppers, onions, broccoli, eggplant, and mushrooms! YUM! Simply marinate, coat or spray with extra virgin olive oil, add spices for more flavor and health benefits of course!
- Be picky about protein: When possible reach for grass fed beef, organic chicken, sustainable seafood, organic hotdogs and clean vegan food sources. These small edits really make a difference from the type of fat they contain (grass-fed has more omega 3 fats) to pesticides and antibiotics possibly used (no thanks!). And when it comes to those impossible burgers keep an eye on the saturated fat. Just because they are vegan doesn’t make them healthy.
- Rethink those sides: Traditional sides have our hearts like beans, potato salad and coleslaw. To make them healthier, make them yourself! Hand picking the ingredients gives you power over your plate (less salt, sugar and fat). We’ve included our favorite baked beans recipe below. You won’t regret it!!
- Say no to basic buns: Select whole grain or think outside the bun with lettuce or collard green wraps instead. The extra fiber in these options will keep you full and balance blood sugar too! Pro-tip: When buying buns, make sure the first ingredient reads “Whole Wheat.” For gluten-free look for zero fillers and gums.
- Want something sweet? Throw some fruit on the fire and end your BBQ on a high note. The natural sugars will caramelize, boosting sweetness and crushing cravings healthfully. Our favs include nectarines, pineapple, peaches or plums!