I don’t know about you but I look forward to my weekly CSA delivery every Monday. Seasonal veggies delivered straight from the farm, how delicious does that sound. Best part is I don’t know what I’m getting until a few days before, so my menu always changes depending on what is in season.
Last week I received an ENORMOUS eggplant and have been staring at it ever since. High in fiber, low in cals and full of anti-oxidants, obviously I am a fan. I’ve made roasted eggplant, eggplant pizza, babaganoush before but I’ve stayed away from eggplant Parmesan because as you can imagine in my house I definately don’t deep fry veggies!
So, could I create a non-fried (not boring) eggplant parm? Hey, why not. And guess what I did. Delicious, creamy, “cheesy” and low cal, it blew my family (yes 3 boys and a husband) out of the water.
Want to make it at home? Check out my recipe below and enjoy with whole grain pasta and steamed string beans (also from my CSA) like we did this week! YUM!
PS. Doesn’t hurt it is bikini friendly 😉
- 1 large eggplant (2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick crosswise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup homemade or best-quality store-bought marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Arrange eggplant on two rimmed baking sheets. Brush eggplant on both sides with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown and very tender, 20 to 25 minutes, turning slices and rotating sheets halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make sauce: over medium-high heat, in a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup almond milk, flour, and garlic. Gradually whisk in remaining 3/4 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup marinara sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until pink sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spread 1/4 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Alternate layers of baked eggplant with pink sauce. Dollop with remaining 1/4 cup marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake on upper rack until browned and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.